Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My role models

Recently my parents have hit, 'a rough patch' in their marriage.

Whether we like it or not, our parents are our role models for intimate adult relationships. We all hope that they are good examples of healthy marriages so that we ourselves can have healthy marriages. Unfortunately, parents are not perfect and neither are their marriages. My parent's is definitely not perfect, and although I've always known this, I considered my parents marriage a 'decent' or 'better than most' example.

That was until recently. Now I believe that their relationship is actually a very bad example to me.


Recently, I found my father engaging in an extramarital affair and had to inform my mother, for the second time in my adult life. He's always had affairs, it just that I hadn't told my mom about it until I was older.

Watching my father take advantage of my mom's hard work; using her money on his mistresses and watching him lie and manipulate his way out of telling the truth makes me sick. As I'd mentioned in an earlier post, I finally understood why I was attracted to Mac, he was just like me father. The only difference was what they lied about. In the end, they are both cowards who only look out for themselves and prey upon women to take care of them.

Right now, I need a stronger woman to be an example to me. I need a better man to show me that there are good, honorable men out there. I need a great couple to show me that people can live together in a healthy way. Right now, I don't need my parents around.

No comments:

Post a Comment